Monday, March 3, 2014

Bay Area Trip Day 11 (Chinatown)

(photo by Ursa Davis)
We would be remiss if we failed to explore San Francisco's most iconic neighborhood, Chinatown. This is the largest Chinatown outside of Asia. Ursa and I have visited many Chinatowns throughout the US and Canada which had given us some assumptions about what size to expect, but the SF Chinatown was way bigger. It just kept going on for blocks and blocks.
(photo by Ursa Davis)
We did some great shopping for chatchkies to give to friends as gifts. Consequently, I suppose that I'd best not tell the world what we picked up, but suffice to say that I was surprised by the variety and quality of shopping to be done. Normally I am not one for knick knack shops but all of the ones we went to in Chinatown had tons of great stuff. For myself I got a scroll with coy painted on it to hang on my wall at work (coy are a symbol of prosperity, so a workplace decoration seemed appropriate) and for our house, Ursa and I got a lovely Saki set. In the end, we had to quit shopping because we were running out of space in our luggage to carry any more home with us.
(photo by Ursa Davis)
After shopping for gifts, we went shopping for tea. Ursa has a much better taste for tea than I do. Not that I don't enjoy tea, but I have never grown an appreciation for it on the level that she has. But that is why it was so interesting for me to sit down for a tea tasting at Vital Tea Leaf. Trying several types of teas, one after the other, brings out flavors that you would never pick up by drinking them on their own. To make the experience even better was a super fun couple that sat down with us and of course the charming owner Ming Dong who chatted with us while he poured tea after tea. Vital Tea Leaf turned out to be one of our favorite experiences in San Francisco.
Once we were done with tea tasting, and made a few quality purchases, Ming recommended a restaurant for us to have dinner at. Y and Z Restaurant was authentic szechuan hot pepper goodness, and a perfect way to end our trip to Chinatown, and our last day in San Francisco.

(photo by Ursa Davis)

No comments:

Post a Comment