Thursday, September 20, 2012

Canada Road Trip Day 6 (The Driving Begins)


And we're off! Ursa and I spent the last couple of days getting my car out of storage, cleaned out, and opperational. New tires, A/C charged, oil change, and lots, and lots of cleaning has us ready to get on the road today. We also found some time to visit friends Mark and Brendi Akins, as well as a good visit with my parents, who we got to tell that we are officially engaged to be married!
So we say goodbye to Twin Falls, as we drive off to Whitefish, Montana. We will be stopping off in Challlis, Idaho to see my coworker, Keegan Meyer. I will send you some updates from the road, bye.

UPDATE:  En route to Challis, Ursa and I stopped off to admire the surreal landscape of Craters of the Moon National Park. Fields of volcanic rock, the remnants lava flows over the last 15,000 years have created this rugged terrain that is beautiful in it's own mysterious way. It reminded me of some of the lava fields that we saw in Hawaii. As an interesting, historical side note: In 1969 astronauts Alan Shepherd, Edgar Mitchell, Eugene Cernan, and Joe Engle visited this area during there preparations for their journey to the moon.
After seeing Keegan we headed north out of Challis. Many of my Harley riding coworkers have raved about the ride, and now I know why. The road wound and twisted through the Sawtooth Mountains, and was one of those "be one with the road" kind of drives. We cranked up some Skrillex and put the car through it's paces, and got to really get a chance to truly enjoy driving again.
My mind got locked into the act of flowing through the curves, and when I finally snapped out of my hypnosis the sky around me had grown dark. Not because it was night, but because the smoke from a nearby wildfire had very nearly blotted out the sun. At 6 o'clock the sun appeared dark red, similar to the color of a sunset, a crazy byproduct of the smoke caused from Idaho burning.
We were running a little behind in our drive and finished the last several hours under the cloak of darkness, and arrived in our hotel in Whitefish around 11 o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment