Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Bay Area Trip Day 12 (Driving to Napa Valley)

(photo by Ursa Davis)
We got checked out of our place this morning and picked up our rental car and took it up to Napa Valley. But before we left San Francisco we had one last landmark that we needed to hit. In fact it was THE landmark. The iconic Golden Gate Bridge has stood as a symbol of San Francisco since it it's opening in 1937. It's art deco support towers make it one of the most beautiful, and certainly the most photographed, bridges in the world. This got me to reminiscing about what bridges I remember the most fondly. I remember how excited I was driving into Boston for the first time and crossing the Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge, and the 59 tiny bridges that dot the curves of the road to Hana on Maui are gorgeous, certainly the I. B. Perinne Bridge that spans the Snake River Canyon in Twin Falls, Idaho, where I grew up, and the most memorable bridge in the most beautiful city I've ever been was Pont Neuf in Paris.
Back in California... After getting some photos of the bridge and some great views of the city, we stopped off for lunch in Sausalito, at a little diner called Fred's Place. One of the things that I really like that we've seen at several different restaurants since we've been here is social seating. I kind of like it when you get sat down at a table with strangers, it gives you a chance to meet new people while enjoying your lunch. I was actually feeling breakfasty and got pancakes even though it was past noon.
We drove on from Sausalito to the place we are renting for the week, just south of Sonoma. I won't go into our drive through wine country because wine country is the purpose of this leg of our trip and I'm sure that I'll get into that ad nausium in the coming days.
(photo by Ursa Davis)

No comments:

Post a Comment