Thursday, April 10, 2014

Europe Trip Day 4 (Keukenhof)

On the outskirts of Amsterdam, lost amidst the spectacular, multicolored tulip fields, lies a botanical garden like nothing else in the world. The Keukenhof Gardens are only open for two months out of the year and attract visitors from around the world.
I am not fond of the name Keukenhof Gardens, because to call the Keukenhof a "garden" is like calling Disneyland a "fairground". It completely misses the mark. All across the sprawling gardens are a menagerie of eye popping arrangements, generally featuring the world famous Dutch tulips. The colors are so vibrant that I half expected that the visual cortices in my brain would fry out and leave me living the remainder of my days in a world of black and white.
Aside from the stunning gardens there are four large facilities stuffed full of astonishing flowers. A person can get lost for days browsing through the seemingly endless parade of color. And the smells. The smells of this entire place are simply otherworldly.
Nothing that I have ever experienced gave me a fuller and more complete understanding of the arrival of Spring. If the Keukenhof is not on your life's "bucket list" put it there STAT.


1 comment: