Friday, April 26, 2013

Coachella Trip Day 8 (Woodinville, WA)

The restocking of my wine cabinent continued today as I went with my sister and brother in law to the wineries in Woodinville. There are more than 90 wineries in this area, most represented by a small tasting room, some by restaurants as well and a few, like Chateau St Michelle by a large estate. This is a wonderful side trip any time you visit Seattle. I picked up a nice white wine from Goose Ridge Winery, and a syrah from Airfield Estates, but the one that I am the most excited by is a petit verdot from Zerba Cellars, who were the 2011 Wine Press Northwest winery of the year, and the only winery that I've ever seen that makes a petit verdot, and I am excited to see what Ursa thinks of it when I get it home.
Spotted Towhee
After wine tasting we returned to my sister's house and had a wonderful evening enjoying the gorgeous weather, drinking more wine, playing with my niece, (my niece also took great care in helping to plant some herbs in the garden) and bird watching in the small thicket of native growth land that borders their house. (They have a gorgeous view out of their back lawn and kitchen window. We were all thrilled to see a red tailed hawk who had been circling the skies for a while finally land briefly in a tree across the field (we had an excellent view of him through the binoculars) and we had fun identifying a spotted towhee that had been hanging around the area all day and a brown headed cowbird as well. There were also groups of dozens and dozens of swallows that would meander through.


No comments:

Post a Comment