Saturday, September 22, 2012

Northeast Tour Day 1 (Anchorage, Alaska)

Last night I returned to Anchorage after a short hitch at work in Prudhoe Bay, and this morning I took a rare opportunity to relax and recharge. I also had to marvel at the gusting wind and rain in Anchorage. The weather has apparently been awful ever since we got back from Canada and the evidence of flooding was jaw dropping from the air while I was flying in from Prudhoe. This morning I got to see first hand the gusting winds that I had heard so much about.
After a slow morning, I had to run a couple of errands, specifically getting a much needed haircut. The first place that I went turned out to be a really shady looking barber shop that didn't appear to have a pair of scissors in the whole place, everyone on the overcrowded waiting bench was getting their hair buzzed. I pretended to get a phone call and walked out. The next place was a Master Cuts in the Diamond Center Mall, where this little Asian lady with the worst dye job ever and an accent that sounded just like Miss Swan from Mad TV, took me over to a chair and put the cape over me and walked away. Part of me was thinking, "don't let her cut your hair. . . don't let her cut your hair. . . don't let her cut your hair. . ." while there was secretly another part of me that wanted her to come back so that I could try to get her to use the phrase "You lookalike a man". In the end she did come back and gave me a thoroughly mediocre haircut then asked if I used gel in my hair. I said, "no", and she promptly filled her hand with gel and said, "here, you just do thees", so I said "no, thank you," and she proceeded to put the gel in my hair anyway. "Here, you just do it thees way".  Thanks.
Back at home it was time to pack. We'll be attending a wedding, so I'll be needing a suit, and at least a weeks worth of clothes. Don't forget the electronics, we wouldn't want to be caught anywhere in the modern world without those; camera, laptop, phone, ipod, and all the applicable charging devices. I downloaded some new podcasts to listen to on the airplane, and updated my reading list on my Kindle. I know that I'll need some reading for the plane, but one can never know how much time they'll have for reading while on a trip. My book list looks like this: "Nonsense: A Handbook of Logical Fallacies" by Robert J. Gula, "The Nasty Bits" by Anthony Bourdain, "Year Zero" by Rob Reid, and "Essays in Humanism" by Albert Einstein. Maybe I'll get to them, maybe not.
Well, it's time for me to take care of a few last details before we head to the airport. Next time I see you, we'll be on Pittsburgh time! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment