Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Canada Road Trip Day 2 (Boise, Idaho)


I haven't been back to Boise in a while, long enough that Ursa and I had no sooner left the airport than I started with the "ooh, that's new" and she started with rolling her eyes. The temperature was perfect today, as we made our way downtown to check out how much things have changed, and how much they've stayed the same.
After wandering around BoDo for a while we met up with my old friend Eric at Bardenay, a great little micodistillery, to see how things had changed for him, and how much they'd stayed the same. On the one hand, seeing Eric again was wonderful, but it also brought me crashing into the realization of how short of a time we would be here, and how few friends we would be able to see. These moments are rare, and special and I wish that I had more time to touch base.
While we were downtown, we came across this bike rack that someone had knitted a scarf around. I had to smile, because it reminded me of quirky, artsy charm that defines this community. It is one of the things that I miss most about this town.
We found ourselves in an interesting moment of vacation deja vu, when we went back to Bardenay to get together with my friends Erica and Steve. I suppose that if it was so much fun the first time, why not a second.
Crosby, Stills and Nash
After a couple of drinks and a bite to eat, the four of us were off to the Idaho Botanical Garden to see Crosby, Stills and Nash.
David Crosby
Located at the walls of the old Idaho Penitentiary the grass lawn of the Botanical Garden is a remarkable venue to sit on a blanket, have some beers and catch the show of a legendary act. We had a great view from the top of a small rise, but was a little inconvenient as the setting sun was back lighting the band. It lit up David Crosby's long white hair and made his head look like little more than a dark silhouette surrounded by a shimmering silver aura. Eventually the sun finished setting and the show continued. For me, the highlight of the show came early on when CSN played "Southern Cross" which is my favorite tune of their collection. But the whole show was charming, the venue ideal, and the night was perfect to spend with friends. Thanks Erica and Steve, we will see you soon.

Crosby, Stills and Nash

No comments:

Post a Comment